This morning, CBS News reports that nearly 200 people have died in tornadoes and severe storms that ravaged six states in the Southeast last night. Our thoughts go out to their loved ones, survivors, search-and-rescue teams, as well as federal, state and local officials dealing with the aftermath of this latest deadly string of disasters that's devastated countless individuals, families, businesses, organizations and communities in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia.
Over the years, GoodBiz113 has posted info about disaster-related resources. Here's a handy overview of what the U.S. Small Business Administration [SBA] and Federal Emergency Management Agency [FEMA] offer.
SBA Offers Low-Interest Disaster Loans
SBA provides low-interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and to private, nonprofit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery, equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.
For complete information about financing available through the SBA's Office of Disaster Assistance, go to: http://1.usa.gov/DisasterLoansSBA.
FEMA Provides Tornado Preparedness and Disaster Response Online Resources
In addition, FEMA has a wealth of tornado preparedness and disaster response resources available online:
* DisasterAssistance.gov -- http://www.disasterassistance.gov/
* Help Others Impacted by Disasters -- http://www.fema.gov/rebuild/recover/howtohelp.shtm [FEMA Donations page]
* Ready Tornado Preparedness -- http://www.ready.gov/america/beinformed/tornadoes.html
* What to Do Before, During and After a Tornado -- http://www.fema.gov/hazard/tornado/index.shtm
* Ready Evacuation Plan -- http://www.ready.gov/business/plan/evacplan.html
SOURCES: Federal Emergency Management Agency, FEMA News [file photo by David Fine], U.S. Small Business Administration
Etón American Red Cross ARCFR160R Microlink Self-Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio with Flashlight, Solar Power and Cell Phone Charger [Red] ^AF